Oloyede Out, Dera Nnadi In As Controller, Tincan Customs Command ,Promises to meet command’s revenue target
By Chinonye Anyatonwu
Comptroller Dera Nnadi, yesterday assumed duty as the 20th Customs Area Controller of the Tincan Island Port Command of the Nigeria Customs Service(NCS), as he vows to meet up with the remaining 48 per cent target given to the command .
Compt Dera Nnadi until yesterday(Thursday) was the Customs Area Controller of the Seme Border Command. He described his posting to Tincan command as homecoming having served as the Deputy Comptroller in charge of Enforcement at the same command about three years ago.
Nnadi noted that the command under his watch would not dwell on the usual blame of others for the various challenges bedeviling the maritime industry.
The CAC recalled that the command revenue target of over N801 billion currently stands at 52 per cent, with barely three months to the end of the year 2023, assuring that the command must work harder to collect the remaining 48 per cent of the remaining revenue before the year runs out.
He maintained that coming at a time, the floating exchange rate was affecting importers and exporters, “this is a big but achievable task.”
He pointed out that their roles in securing the nation were vast, ranging from interventions against economic saboteurs who distort and take advantage of the nation’s trade policy saying that these also include those that import illicit goods that contribute to the insecurity in the country.
Compt. Nnadi commended his immediate predecessor, Comptroller Adekunle Oloyode and officers of the command for the recent seizure of two containers of tramadol and promised to sustain the fight against importation of illicit and unapproved drugs.”
He continued, “Distinguished audience, just two days ago, the Customs Administrations of Nigeria and Benin signed an agreement to develop frameworks for clearing of Nigeria bound goods in Benin Ports and vice versa.”
“This is a call for us to improve our business process and increase our efficiency in service delivery in order to be competitive with other ports in the subregion.”
“To this end, I will particularly request the cooperation of shipping companies, terminal operators and other government agencies in our efforts towards ensuring the actualisation of the rebranding of the command.”
“In line with this, I will essentially request that we respect our various mandates. Those concerned with regulatory functions should stay away from interference in revenue related transactions except it is in their mandate to do so.”
“The out going Controller operated an open door policy, “I will open my doors for seamless trade, but I will also close the door against unwholesome activities that will compromise the Service mandates,” he stated.
“Let me at this juncture state that in my resolve to achieve the goals of the Command, we will not dwell on the usual blame of others for the various challenges bedeviling the maritime industry. No one person is responsible for the rot, but everyone should be ready to offer a solution.”
Speaking earlier, the outgone Controller, Comptroller Adekunle Oloyede urged officers and stakeholders including sister agencies to extend the same support and collaboration given to him to the new Controller whom he described as a trade facilitator to enable him succeed and achieve the command’s revenue target.
While urging clearing agents to improve on their level of compliance, Oloyede charged them to also extend intelligence shared with the command in its anti-smuggling operation that led to the seizure of two containers of tramadol to the new Controller.
”I know we are already in the ember months, so the incoming controller will need your support to be able to meet the revenue target and I know he is going to break my records. I also promise to give my support as Controller in charge of import and export and ensure that by God’s grace, he succeeds” he assured.
He thanked the media for their support and encouraged them to also give same support to the new controller. Finally, he advised the media to always fact check information available to them before publishing.